A History of Skipton
- Skipton is Anglo Saxon for Sheep Town. There is still a Sheep Street and an aptly named pub on it called The Wooly Sheep Inn.
- Full sized, ornamental, painted sheep are used to promote events around the town. Sheep day is held on the last Sunday in July.
- Skipton Castle is a well preserved Norman castle built around 1090 and given to the Clifford family in 1310. (That is the year not the time on a 24 hour clock)
- The castle was a Royalist stronghold until falling to Oliver Cromwell in 1645. It and the Clifford family took an active part in the War of the Roses.
Not only is Skipton the self appointed ‘Gateway to the Dales’ but is the administrative center of |Craven District Council. They are looking for the public’s favourite object from a list of seven
- A Bronze Age jet earring
- A Roman amethyst intaglio
- Medieval floor tiles from Bolton Abbey
- Ribblesdale peat spade
- Timothy Crowther’s ‘Spell book’
- Richard Ryley’s Diary
- Dr Rowley’s research notes