Open mouthed you may catch more than the odd fly on the river Aire but Yorkshire anglers know far better rivers to enjoy their sport of fly fishing.
Yorkshire Anglers is a commercial club with 35 acres of water in two reservoirs and over a mile of the river Wharfe. 15 miles from Leeds this intimate private fishery has brown trout and rainbow trout weighing 1.25 lbs and occasionally much more. ‘The waters leased by Yorkshire Anglers are hidden gems, tucked away in the midst of typically beautiful Yorkshire scenery and are a refreshing tonic to the numerous ‘muddy puddles’ masquerading as fly fishing lakes. The two reservoirs and a stretch of the River Wharfe provide ample scope for the discerning fly-fisher to test his skills against fish which very quickly wise up and start feeding naturally.’
Fly fishing lessons are on offer with Steve Rhodes and the Yorkshire based Go Fly Fishing . Yorkshire has some of the most famous fly fishing locations in the UK with the equally limestone Rivers Wharfe, Ure and Aire in the Yorkshire Dales where Grayling and Trout are available. From fly tying to lessons on technique would make an interesting day out or a fine present.
Angling Resourse and Associations
- The Grayling Society promotes awareness, conservation and angling for grayling worldwide.
- The Wild Trout Trust – is dedicated to the conservation of wild trout in Britain through the protection of their habitats.
- The Anglers Conservation Association – (ACA) fighting against polluters to clean up our streams, rivers and lakes.
- Salmon & Trout Association Western Yorkshire branch runs courses at Bolton Abbey and Grassington and there are branches for South Yorkshire, North and East and Swale, Ure & Nidd,
- Nidderdale Angling Club has waters on the river and at Scarr House reservoir
- Thrybergh Country Park in Rotherham is a council run water which offers fly fishing only for the Rainbows and Brown Trout that run to 5lb. The water is restocked on a regular basis. Tickets are purchased from the vending machines and offer plenty of alternatives including 7 day permits and also concessions. Plenty of parking and toilets including disabled ones.
- Helwith Bridge Fly Fishery is located in the Yorkshire Dales close to the villages of Ingleton and Settle, just off the A65.
- Malham Tarn fly fishing courses include residential weekends.
Let us know your favourite fishing spot or resource.
Flyfishing for Coarse Fish by Dominic Garnett
Pike, Rudd, Carp, Roach, Perch, Barbel, Chub, Zander, Dace, Tench and Bream are all covered in some detail in this new authoritative book.
Angler_03 by getty CC BY-NC-ND 2.0
Fly Fishing on the Big Hole River, MT by CircumerroStock CC BY-NC-ND 2.0
Spring fly fishing by Beneath_B1ue_Skies CC BY 2.0
humpy_trout_fly_selection12_assorted_humpy_flies CC BY 2.0