John R Mather ( ‘Where to watch Birds in Yorkshire & Humberside‘) has compiled a list of 156 Yorkshire sites from which I have selected a personal favourites list or top dozen. To make it a bakers dozen please comment below with your own personal favourite.
- On the Coast RSPB Bempton Cliff stands out in more ways than one.
- Humber Estuary in the East Riding you may want to check out Cherry Cobb Sands or Welwick Salting.
- North Yorkshire Moors have a different environment at Dalby and Staindale Forest.
- Richmond and Northwestern Dales around Arkengarthdale
- Settle and Upper Wharfedale particularly Malham Tarn or Semer water near Hawes.
- Masham and Upper Nidderdale Yorkshire Waters reservoirs at Grimwith or Gouthwaite
- Nidderdale and Washburn Valley gravel-pits at Hay-a-park Knaresborough
- Downstream Aire Valley you can’t beat Fairburn Ings close to the A1
- Lower Derwent Valley National Nature Reserve and Weldrake Ings.
- Doncaster Area and Thorpe Marsh run by Yorkshire Wildlife Trust
- Southern Pennines Hardcastle Crags owned by the National Trust
- My own garden with feeders and bird friendly garden features.
Top Bird Web Sites for Yorkshire
- Read about all RSPB reserves in Yorkshire
- South Yorkshire Bird Guides.
- Bird Nerd in East Yorkshire
- Yorkshire Naturalists
- Bird and nature reserves of Yorkshire
- Yorkshire Dales bird guide
- Where to watch birds in and around York
- Fat Birder in South Yorkshire
- For more on bird baths for your garden read Garden Products
Appropriate Birding Books
Bird watching walks in the yorkshire dales by Brendan Threfal
Sparrow by Hitched Hiker CC BY-NC-SA 2.0
Puffin by nigel_appleton CC BY-NC-ND 2.0