It is the time of year when Wakefield rhubarb is in season and gingerbread is never out of season. So here is a combination of these two excellent local products brought together as Rhubarb Gingerbread. I use thicker stalks of the rhubarb as the forced pink variety is a bit wet.
Rhubarb & Gingerbread Ingredients
- 11 oz flour plus small teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 5 oz butter, softened
- 5 oz castor sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 6 oz crystallised ginger
- 10 oz rhubarb cut into small pieces
- 4 oz golden syrup
- 1 beaten egg & milk to mix
- Melt butter sugar and treacle over a low heat
- Sift together flour, bicarb, and half the ground ginger and mix in.
- Stir in beaten egg and milk to give a soft consistency.
- Spoon half the mixture into a greased, square, shallow tin. Top evenly with rhubarb pieces and crystallised ginger sprinkling over the remaining ground ginger.
- Spoon over remaining mixture and spread out.
- Bake at 350° F for 60-90 minutes until an inserted skewer come out clean.
Eat and enjoy in squares or big chunks. By ginger it will be good and gingery.