Yorkshire is blessed with dramatic and unrivaled scenery. From the East coast through Moors, Dales and Wolds there are umpteen images to catch the imagination.
You can access these images via short or long distance walks, from car windows, glossy books, old postcards or surfing the internet as you are currently doing.
Roman road roam’n’ all over the place?
‘The Yorkshire Moors and Wolds’ Book by Mark Denton
A collection of wonderful panoramic Yorkshire images of Moors and Wolds. These are two very different landscapes separated by the Vale of Pickering and encompassing forests, remote farmlands, dramatic rocky landscapes and gently rolling hills.
The Beauty of Trees. Thixendale,Yorkshire Wolds. UK. by Philip Ed CC BY-NC 2.0
A selection of photos taken in the village of Menston.
The old school which is now a business, from Menston Parish Church.
Sunrise at St John’s Church Menston.
Looking towards the Chevin and Otley.
From the top of Derry Hill looking towards Main Street and the centre of Menston.
Continue reading “Menston Photos”
Underneath the arches in Leeds usually means the Dark Arches with bridges over the Aire and railway bridges over both. This is the bridge to the Calls on the Calder Aire navigation link.
A view of the Leeds bridge cast ironwork in full painted regalia. Not big enough to require a Forth Bridge paint job.
The Leeds Liverpool canal at Dockfield in Shipley has a packhorse bridge where the old Bradford canal joined.
Walking from Addingham up to Beamsley Beacon I crossed this footbridge over the river Wharfe.
Built like a Packhorse bridge over the Leeds Liverpool canal this bridge has the traditional narrow, one horse wide masonry arch and low parapets so as not to interfere with the horse’s panniers. It is at the junction of the now defunct Bradford Canal and was opened in 1774. The canal and the bridge carried industrial revolution products too and from Bradford. Despite many problems with the water flow into the canal it was a commercial asset until it closed in 1922 due to the high cost of pumping water back to the head of the canal.
Pleasure craft now float under this fine old bridge heading towards Shipley.
The Roman fort of Olicana now known as Ilkley, once guarded this strategic crossing of the Wharfe, on the legion’s road to Boroughbridge (Aldborough). This packhorse bridge was built in 1674 close to the Roman built ford across the river Wharfe. It is an unusual bridge as it is wider than many packhorse bridges and would allow two loaded pack animals to pass on the bridge. It is closed to traffic but you can wheel a cycle across. Continue reading “Packhorse Bridges in Yorkshire”
A good Yorkshire education began with a Bradford wool merchant and Member of Parliament for Bradford in 1861. William Edward Forster was the son of a Quaker who was active in the anti slavery movement.
W E Forster moved to Bradford into premises that were eventually to become Swan Arcade sadly demolished. The business at Waterloo mills employed over 500 at it’s peak and W E Forster organised reading facilities and education classes for his workers that included children aged eight. The workers even enjoyed a ‘works trip’ to London from Apperley Bridge railway station when W E F was elected as a Member of Parliament.
In 1850 with his partner he purchase two cotton mills at Burley in Wharfedale and converted Greenholme Mills into a worsted manufacturer also employing upwards of 500 people.
After the 1868 General Election, William Gladstone appointed Forster as Vice-President of the Committee of Council on Education. Forster therefore had responsibility for carrying through the House of Commons the 1870 Education Act. This role had the responsibility of providing some form of education for the hordes of industrial towns children who were not catered for before the act came into force. He set up school boards who had to make provision for schools in their area. Thus he earned the right to be called the father of universal elementary education.
It is for education that W E Forster is best known and he had Braford’s Forster Square and subsequently the Midland railway station named in his honour.
From 1880 he was chief secretary for Ireland, and worked tirelessly on the Compensation for Disturbance Bill a task was made more difficult by the agitation which arose in consequence. ‘During the gloomy autumn and winter of 1880-81 Forster’s energy and devotion in grappling with the situation in Ireland were indefatigable, his labor was enormous, and the personal risks he ran were many: but he enjoyed the Irish character in spite of all obstacles, and inspired genuine admiration in all his coadjutors. On the 24th of January 1881 he introduced a new Coercion Bill in the House of Commons, to deal with the growth of the Land League.’ Read more about Home Rule for Ireland and Forsters part in the process.
W E Forster died in 1886, on the eve of the introduction of the Home Rule Bill, to which he was stoutly opposed and is buried in God’s Little Acre at Burlay in Wharfedale.
‘This looks like it may be a Victorian municipal graveyard. Its name is “God’s Acre Cemetery” and it is situated just north of Menston. There are a couple of churches in the vicinity but nothing immediately nearby. It’s a very pretty place.’
Forster Square – Post Office & Cathedral by Bradford Timeline CC BY-NC 2.0
15a – Swan Arcade, Bradford by Bradford Timeline
01 – Forster Square & Richard Oastler statue, Bradford (1890s) by Bradford Timeline all CC BY-NC 2.0
Village Cemetery by tj.blackwellCC BY-NC 2.0
Ribblehead Viaduct by Joe Dunckley, Flickr.
Wensleydale by Alden Chadwick
Lower Wharfedale by Tejvan
Haworth Village – Bronte Country Continue reading “Beautiful Iconic Yorkshire”
Fork in the road in Buckden. To the right, Leyburn. To the left, a tough climb over Fleet Moss to Hawes
A Date with History
A Classic car driving through Buckden.
Although the village of Buckden was founded in Norman times, the village lies on the route of the roman road from Ilkley (Olicana) to Bainbridge (Virosidum) where the Romans had a fort.
The bridleway known as Buckden Rake follows the path of the roman road, heading up through Rakes Wood towards Cray and then over Stake Moss.
Following a visit in 1650 from George Fox the founder of the Quaker movement nearby Hubberholme became a Quaker meeting House
There is a Quaker burial ground adjacent to Scar House cottage.
Lead mining was an early local industry.
Continue reading “Buckden Yorkshire Dales”
I have shown pictures of St John’s Churchyard in previous posts but the 2016 walk yesterday showed how far the area had ‘come on’.
A scent trail was marked out with comic noses near the ‘smelly’ plants to would attract children. Allium triquetrum, Ginger Mint, Artemisia abrotanum. Choisia ternata, Lavender and Rosemary.
Unfortunately the inclement weather encouraged the goodly number of kids to spend most of their time in the church looking for the 18 Mouseman of Kilburn carved mice. These elephant ears must have pricked up with all those mice around – Berginias were in fine floral colour.
A variety of trees including some planted in memory of loved ones include Beech, Hawthorn, Crab Apple, Cherry, Laburnum and Holly with a row of sycamores along the boundary. The canopy has been lifted by careful tree surgery to aid the super display of plants and the making of a ‘Fairy path’.The Fairy path under the tree canopy.
The 2011 Garden Tour
Red, white and blue flowers and several shades in between were on display.
The weather remained fine. This partially rewarded all the hard work that had gone into improving the churchyard garden and getting ready to open to the public.
This clump of Bluebells had more flower than leaf.
Visitors viewing the garden and buying from the plant stall.
A view of the former dumping ground now transformed with Helebores, Primroses and various grasses.
This Camissia is showing off it’s flowers amongst the grass.
Candelabra Primroses like the damp soil at the foot of the large new bed built on the former builders rubble.
The Churchyard earlier in 2011.
In 1155 Augustin monks based in Embsay opted to build an Priory on a rise near the river. 400 years or so later in 1539 Henry Vlll caused its dissolution. The ruins of Bolton Abbey are situated on the lower reaches of the River Wharfe in North Yorkshire. The bend in the river is a scenic setting for the old monastery building and this is a favourite picnic spot for trippers. These are some photos of Bolton Abbey through the seasons. Continue reading “Bolton Abbey Priory through the Seasons”