The East Yorkshire Regiment landed in St Nazare on 10th September 1914 and the battalions and some of the soldiers are researched in detail on 1914-1918 web site ‘The Long Long Trail’. This seems to be a good site for family and military researchers, ‘it is a tribute to the men and women who fought and won – and to the million who died trying.’
The Yorkshire Regiment’s formation in June 2006 was part of the restructuring of the infantry with the merger of three regular battalions, plus a TA battalion:
1st Battalion, The Yorkshire Regiment (previously 1st Battalion, Prince of Wales’s Own Regiment of Yorkshire)
2nd Battalion, The Yorkshire Regiment (previously 1st Battalion, Green Howards)
3rd Battalion, The Yorkshire Regiment (previously: 1st Battalion, The Duke of Wellington’s Regiment (West Riding))
4th Battalion, The Yorkshire Regiment (previously: East and West Riding Regiments and Green Howards company from the Tyne-Tees Regiment ), all formerly titled and known as The Yorkshire Volunteers.
The Green Howards Museum is in Richmond and read more on the Yorkshire Regiment web site
The Royal Dragoon Guards were formed on the amalgamation in 1992, of the 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards and the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards. They are stationed in Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire, continuing a tradition of service that now runs over three hundred years. All Saints Church, Pavement, York is the Regimental Church of The Royal Dragoon Guards. The museum at York is also worth visiting.
East Yorkshire Regiment in the Great War 1914-1918 by Everard Wyrall from Amazon
Hull Pals: 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th (Service) Battalions of the East Yorkshire Regiment
On 10th September 1914, the City of Sheffield officially raised its own Battalion.