Top Cathedrals for age and Architecture
1.York Minster Cathedral and Metropolitical Church of St Peter is the Mother church of the Province of York AD 627.
2. Ripon Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Wilfrid AD 655.
Parish and modern Cathedrals
3. Bradford Cathedral Church of St Peter 15th century
4. Leeds Roman Catholic Cathedral Church of St Anne
5. Wakefield Cathedral Church of All Saints consecrated AD 1329
6. Sheffield Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul + like Liverpool with a second cathedral the 7. Roman Catholic Cathedral Church of St Marie
8. Middlesbrough Saint Mary’s Roman Catholic originally Cathedral Church of Our Lady Of Perpetual Succour
Minster Churches not Cathedral?
- Beverley Minster Parish church of St John and St Martin
- Dewsbury Minster All Saints Church
- Marsden St Bartholomew’s church
- Halifax Minster West Riding
- Howden Minster was owned by monks from Peterborough Abbey in Saxon times
- Leeds Minster and Parish Church of Saint Peter-at-Leeds
- All Saints Church, Rotherham, also known as Rotherham Minster,
- Doncaster Church of St George, Doncaster, also known as Doncaster Minster.
Significant or Greater Churches Network
Southwell Cathedral and Parish Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary prior to the dissolution of 1539 was a Minster in the diocese of York.
- Bolton Abbey
- Bridlington Priory
- St Peter’s Church, Harrogate
- Holy Trinity Church, Hull
- Selby Abbey
The greater church network aims to help former monastic properties and others large parish churches built at a time of great wealth. They have common problems of financing facilities for a large number of visitors and the specialist maintenance and repair of old or large buildings.