John R Mather ( ‘Where to watch Birds in Yorkshire & Humberside‘) has compiled a list of 156 Yorkshire sites from which I have selected a personal favourites list or top dozen. To make it a bakers dozen please comment below with your own personal favourite.
- On the Coast RSPB Bempton Cliff stands out in more ways than one.
- Humber Estuary in the East Riding you may want to check out Cherry Cobb Sands or Welwick Salting.
- North Yorkshire Moors have a different environment at Dalby and Staindale Forest.
- Richmond and Northwestern Dalesaround Arkengarthdale
- Settle and Upper Wharfedale particularly Malham Tarn or Semer water near Hawes.
- Masham and Upper Nidderdale Yorkshire Waters reservoirs at Grimwith or Gouthwaite
- Nidderdale and Washburn Valley gravel-pits at Hay-a-park Knaresborough
- Downstream Aire Valley you can’t beat Fairburn Ings close to the A1
- Lower Derwent Valley National Nature Reserve and Weldrake Ings.
- Doncaster Area and Thorpe Marsh run by Yorkshire Wildlife Trust
- Southern Pennines Hardcastle Crags owned by the National Trust
- My own garden with feeders and bird friendly garden features.
Top Bird Web Sites for Yorkshire
- Read about all RSPB reserves in Yorkshire
- South Yorkshire Bird Guides.
- Bird Nerd in East Yorkshire
- Yorkshire Naturalists
- Bird and nature reserves of Yorkshire
- Yorkshire Dales bird guide
- Where to watch birds in and around York
- Fat Birder in South Yorkshire
- For more on bird baths for your garden read Garden Products
Appropriate Birding Books
Bird watching walks in the yorkshire dales by Brendan Threfal
Bird Watching in East Yorkshire, the Humber and Teesmouth by Stephen C Elliott
Birds of the Yorkshire Dales by W R Mitchell
( ‘Where to watch Birds in Yorkshire & Humberside‘) by John R Mather
Sparrow by Hitched Hiker CC BY-NC-SA 2.0
Puffin by nigel_appleton CC BY-NC-ND 2.0